Monday, August 14, 2006

Solving problems with a gun.

Part of the whole DIY process is a lot of trial and error. The error this time around was my failed attempt to paint my newly stretched canvas with a paint roller. I'm not sure why I thought it would work in the first place. The solution was several coats of paint with a spray gun, with a little bit of sanding thrown in to keep it all smooth.

The paint I used was one I read about in the AVS Forum. It's called Silver Screen and it's made by Behr. It actually has no special qualities that make it silver or reflective. It's just more of that paint company nonsensical naming silliness. I did want a paint that was the slightest bit grey in order to help the black levels in the images on the screen. Enough people tried out this paint and showed the results of their efforts and satisfied my need.

Ultimately, I wanted a 110" screen for a fraction of the cost of a professional screen. I spent about $100 total on my screen. Professionally manufactured screens can run anywhere from $300 to well over $1,000 and that's just a bit to rich for my budget on this project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home